Key market review
Revenue trends continue to improve
- Group organic service revenue growth improved during the year, with a strong result from emerging markets and encouraging signs of renewed growth in some parts of Europe.
- In Europe service revenue was down 0.4%(*) during the year; however, this was significantly better than last years decline of 3.8%(*). We are seeing positive revenue trends in the more stable economies of northern Europe such as Germany, the UK and the Netherlands, while our remaining mature markets in Europe, particularly those impacted by government austerity measures, have seen declining revenue growth. Turkey has seen significant revenue growth this year, driven by improvements both in voice and data revenue.
- Service revenue growth in our Africa, Middle East and Asia Pacific region was 9.5(*). Our two major businesses within this region, India and Vodacom, reported continued strong growth reflecting the benefits of rising mobile penetration in India and a more stable pricing environment; and strong take-up of data services in South Africa.
- See "Operating results" for further details of performance within each of our markets during the year.
Mobile service revenue market share (%)(1)
Key market performance at a glance
|Key achievements||Organic service revenue growth|
- At 31 March (2011 estimated).
- Q3 2010 and Q3 2011 data; mobile total revenue share.
- Market share information relates to South Africa which is Vodacoms largest business.
- This figure reflects pro-forma growth which is organic growth adjusted to include acquired business for the whole of both periods